#DearNative Youth Poetry Contest
We’re teaming up with the Survival of First Voices Festival for a #DearNative Youth Poetry Contest!
Deadline: June 1, 2015
TWO (2) Age Groups:
Middle school/High school (ages 11-18) & College (ages 18-24).
First Place for both age groups: Published in Fall Issue of As/Us Journal Fall Issue!
Prompts on flyer & e-mail submissions to: email@example.com
*writing prompts provided by Cafe Cultura*
Writing Prompts: You can submit up to 4 poems. Choose one and write a poem…
- focused on your community (actual vs potential; your vision for it; your relationship to it), connecting abstract ideas to concrete objects.
- describing how you can be a leader in your community (how does a person become a good leader, what qualities can you develop to be one, etc.)
- in the form of a message or letter to your future or past self.
- detailing the person you see in the mirror (how you see yourself in 5-10 years).
- remembering something or someone you lost.
- about living in a world that doesn’t yet exist (ideal world).
- addressing a particular social justice issue (immigration, stereotypes, sacred sites, sexism, racism, wealth gap, climate change).
- pointing out a problem you see in society, among your peers, or in your community (make sure to offer a solution).